The SFD Responder was borne of the desire to make a good idea great.
An ankle pouch is a great way to always carry an IFAK on you discretely and comfortably. I did my research and found that a few manufacturers were producing different models. I had high hopes that I would find one that would work well for me and over the course of a couple of years I’ve tried every ankle pouch on the market. Unfortunately, I found out that some are too bulky, some don’t carry enough, some are not tough enough, some try to do too much and are not comfortable.
The net result of my endeavor is that next to my box of gun holsters I now have a box of ankle pouches that are gathering dust!
While in Italy for work, I was relating my frustration with finding a good ankle pouch to Fabio Casali. Fabio is the owner of Frog.Pro (www.Frogpro.it) and a very talented craftsman. We started brainstorming and after some drawing, cutting and sawing we had our first prototype in July 2016. I used that prototype daily until I went back to Italy next October. Armed with my notes, Fabio skills and ingenuity and some more R&D we re-designed the SFD Responder with a few improvements. I wore the new version every day since and I can truly say I’m beyond satisfied with how it turned out.
The SFD Responder is designed for Every Day Carry in urban or rural environments. Some of the practical advantages of this carry method is that you don’t have to fight with other tools on your beltline for space or carry an extra daypack or satchel (I know, Jack Bauer made it cool, but still…). More importantly, you don’t have to sacrifice necessary equipment to fit your kit in a pant or jacket pocket.
Let’s look at some of the design details and materials that went into the construction of the SFD Responder:
- Pockets are made of 2 layers of tough elastic cloth, lightweight and breathable. It conforms to the contents inserted allowing for secure and discreet carry of the equipment when walking, running or jumping.
- Open bottom pocket design helps to “stuff” equipment in and keep it there securely.
- Bottom of the pockets is reinforced with MIL-W-17337, class II nylon webbing and won’t fray from rubbing on shoes/boots like the elastic cloth would.
- Two PALS MOLLE laser cut in LAHYCO®, a proprietary blend of Hypalon® and Cordura® 500D, offer more storage options if you need it. Using Shock Cord, Velcro or small pockets.
- The female Velcro cloth is sawn on 3D Air Mesh helping tremendously with comfort, fit and breathability.
- We use the new Velcro Ultra-Mate® for the closing tab. This wide Velcro tab is more rigid and has smaller “teeth” than regular Velcro. It adheres better and stays put even when saturated with sweat or water.
- Long enough to fit over most tall boots, duty, tactical or hiking.
- Weight: 3.8 oz.
- Dimensions: 20” L x 4” W. With the load in the pictures the SFD Responder is 1 ¼ inch thick max.
Whether you are a civilian, LEO, Fire Fighter, EMT, Executive Protection Agent, Security Guard, Correctional Officer, etc. you can customize the content of your kit and always have it with you.
Colors: Black, Ranger Green, Coyote (498), Tan (499), Multicam (+$10)
Price: $58.95 + S&H ($6.50)